taken from the boyfriend :-D
My boyfriend loves to cook anything that involves meat, as long as it's on the grill. Not long after we started dating I talked him into cooking us steaks on the stovetop, since we didn't have a grill at our apartment. One night when he cooked me a steak, I was told to busy myself in the living room while he cooked me dinner. I tried very hard not to sniff in the general direction of the kitchen, but they're right next to each other so it was pretty much impossible.
I was wonderfully surprised when he told me to open my mouth and take a bite, and I was excited when I tasted crunchy bread and cheesy goodness. Here's the recipe:
- Fresh Mozzarella (I prefer pearls, the pictures are using slices)
- Black Pepper
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Minced Garlic
- Italian loaf
- Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and cover a pan with tin foil (I have a small round one that I use).
2. Cut two slices about 3" thick from your italian loaf, and then cut them evenly in half with a bread knife.
3. Drizzle the tops of each slice with olive oil, and then turn face down and put in the oven for 2 minutes, 30 seconds.
4. Add a dash of salt and pepper to each slice. I have a double salt/pepper grinder, and I do 1 grinding of salt and 2 grindings of pepper per slice.
5. This is where the mozzarella pearls come in handy. If you smush each pearl, you'll use a few per slice, if you use sliced mozzarella... then you have to shred it by hand. I use about 2 slices for this, and quite a few pearls.
6. Sprinkle a tiny amount of the garlic on each piece of bread, and drop a few sprinkles in between all the slices in the center of the pan.
|Mmm... don't befriend any vampires with this dish.|
7. Put back in the oven for another 2 minutes, 30 seconds.
8. Then sprinkle on some oregano, and enjoy!